We are asking for volunteers to help moderate the conference talks. We
would like to fill 10 slots. If you are interested, please visit
https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/osc21mods and put your name next one or
more of the times you would like to help moderate. We will have a
Practice Day on June 16 for live speakers and moderators.
Meeting minutes for Board call on 2021-06-07 @ 13:00 CEST
Attendees: Gerald, Gertjan, Simon, Neal, Syds
Absent: Vinz, Axel
Guests: Doug, Luna, Maurizio, Onralp, Bill
* Gerald asks for additional topics from the community
* Moderator accountability: https://code.opensuse.org/board/tickets/issue/9
Simon would like to have a consistent accounting of moderation/bans
for Board review
Gertjan notes that the forums banlist is almost entirely spammers,
trolls usually die out before bans/moderation has to be done
It's also noted that this is the same in Matrix, Discord, and
Telegram. Mau notes Discord moderation log is public already.
Gerald restates the topic for clarification and Simon agrees with it.
Simon wants a global (non-public) archive, Neal mentions we could
probably auto-archive into code.opensuse.org using APIs of all
Onralp notes Telegram has an API for this and he does this already with a bot.
Simon wants the archive to note who did the ban and when and on what platform.
Mau would not want the archive with moderator name public.
Simon really wants the moderator info to contact for mod/ban review.
Mau asks about the moderator list, Neal points out it may be
impractical due to how mods are managed.
Neal suggests a moderator lead for each platform, Simon wants all
moderators and thinks we don't have too many.
Gertjan notes that he's had targeted harassment as a moderator.
Board agrees that we should have a global archive in one place for
moderators to review and collect contact info for moderators.
Further implementation details TBD.
* Freenode -> Libera Chat for IRC:
Gerald asks what's left. Simon and Neal note we need to complete the switchover.
Gerald states a trite computer science phrase. "Every problem can be
solved with another level of indirection"
Neal suggests the Board needs to make a formal announcement and update
all the Freenode channel topics with that announcement, specifically
to avoid getting the Freenode hijack so that people *don't* get
Gerald asks Neal if he can handle it. Neal will write the announcement
and talk to darix about applying it to channels.
* Improving the Board meeting/attendance experience:
Luna asks for regular notifications of upcoming meetings.
Neal notes he and Sasi have been looking at deploying fedocal for
other reasons and would help here: https://pagure.io/fedocal
Gerald suggests the minute taker announce the next meeting as an
Gerald also asks that minute takers update the status of tickets
discussed so we don't accidentally discuss it over and over.
Meeting close 14:00 CEST
Neal Gompa (ID: Pharaoh_Atem)
I'd like to communicate an early feature deadline for SUSE Linux
Enterprise 15 SP4, which is on 26th June 2021.
This deadline is for having requests reported in jira.suse.com, not for
the actual code submit requests.
This is very important to openSUSE Leap 15.4 contributors as 1/3 of
Leap 15.4 binaries will be re-used with SUSE Linux Enterprise and
therefore submit requests are accepted there.
This is important to keep in mind if you plan to update Leap exclusive
package which depends on e.g. a library from SUSE Linux Enterprise.
This will be the most common type of request according to my current
experience from SP3.
I was personally a bit surprised to have this deadline so early even
prior the OBS setup, as last year had it shortly after the first Alpha.
Just to clarify, this deadline is the same for everyone be it a largest
partner, community contributor or an employee.
openSUSE Leap and Package Hub exclusive packages will have similar
deadlines as described in https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap.
We're aiming for the Leap 15.4 GA in early June 2022, therefore
deadlines will only slightly vary from the previous release.
We already have to feature requests open for 15.4 (usage of appx-utils
instead of fb-utils-appx and update of python-pycairo to 1.20). If
you're interested and have some open questions, feel free to pop up on
Monday's meeting at 3:00 CEST (
https://meet.opensuse.org/FeatureRequests). More details about jira
access and meeting at
This call is mainly to identify very obvious updates or requests for
features that we'd like to have in SLE 15 SP4 and therefore inherited
to Leap 15.4. We'll have a harder time to justify requests that cause
massive rebuilds, have large impacts, or seem to be risky (package
renames etc) later in the development.
Here I'd like to clarify that SUSE Linux Enterprise uses a layered
structure and in many cases packages have to be updated in the oldest
supported code-stream. I recommend checking the true origin of the
package (see referenced wiki). Larger or backward incompatible changes
to these packages would result in package forks in SP4. Therefore it's
not so easy, but the openSUSE release team is here to help you.
Requests during later development cycle have a bit more complicated
path but there is processes for it as well (https://en.opensuse.org/ECO
). These are just bit more complication to pass and it generally takes
longer, so if you want to have less work, please request it early.
I'm acting as sort of a partner manager and I'm going to help you with
reporting and deduplication on the SUSE side. I'm processing requests
together with Neal Gompa and others who join our call on Mondays. Neal
and I would like to work on opening the request even further to the
community (Most likely by skipping the jira.suse.com from initial
report), but I'm bit afraid we won't make it new few weeks.
If you're unsure, please reach out to me or Neal over telegram/Email or
even irc or simply join the Monday afternoon call.
As a side note, SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP4 is considered to be the
feature release (Tick-tock model). Therefore, we have relatively free
hands with requests of updates as soon as they are backed by some
reasoning (I need this for x.y.z).
Thank you very much for your understanding.
Release Manager openSUSE Leap
The release team wanted to revisit this topic and give an explanation
for why we'd like to collect early feature requests for openSUSE Leap
15.4 and SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP4.
The reason for it is that the SUSE's internal deadline for all partner
requests is on 26th June 2021. that partially affects us as well.
Please keep in mind that SLE will also take features after this
deadline, but it requires more approvals in the process, which can be
avoided if we prepare, plan and are proactive. Just to make sure
feature requests != code submission itself (see examples on wiki).
openSUSE Leap 15.4 takes new features until we enter the RC phase,
which is when we accept only important bug fixes. Please be aware that
your Leap package updates might depend on libraries in SLE, which is
main reason why we're doing this excercise so early. We'd like to
identify all these SLE update requests prior the 26th June to avoid any
delays later in the development cycle.
Let's start the Leap 15.4 planning together and collect our ideas and
then we'll turn them into feature requests that we can discuss on June
21st for an extended feature review meeting 15:00-16:30 CEST (13:00-
14:30 UTC) at https://meet.opensuse.org/FeatureRequests
We can use the following wiki:
We already have some features in there, which I am excited to see and
look forward to see more.
I'm otherwise working on the simplification of the approval process for
community contributions, so we can have fewer roadblocks.
openSUSE Release team
Board Meeting Minutes 2021-05-25
Syds. Axel, Simon, Gerald, Gertjan, Neal and Vinz
** Mailing lists moderation
- The board invited Sasi to discuss the options and possibilities re. the
subject. Gerald asks whether we all agree that this should be aligned with the
rules / guiding principles on other platforms we have. Board agrees
unanimously that code of conduct / guiding principles should apply to mailing
lists and other platforms.
- Most complaints @board are about MLs, not forums or Discord / Telegram/
- Sasi: we should have a wiki page with moderators, and a described way to
- Currently we have 3 mods, 1 in EU, 1 in the US, 1 in Australia.
- Communication currently takes place via the moderators ML
We agree that we need:
- A Moderators Team mailing list process
- Way to contact them.
- A solution for permissions, since that team would currently not be able to
ban/unban. Needs full access.
- Set of rules on a dedicated wiki page.
- Neal: we need to set the rules before we start
AI: Gertjan - be contact as forums mod.
AI: Sasi setup a wiki page.
AI: Sasi look into the details re. mailman
** Freenode - issue#4
Board discussed the freenode -> libera.chat move triggered by the freenode
AI: Gerald: registration and then draft an email proposing move to libera
Simon/Neal: needs namespace / group
We also discussed some tech details re. registering etc.
** Tracking Board meetings / agendas
- Neal: we're not ready for recorded meetings / live stream
- Discusion re. tech details.
- Public part first, meet.opensuse.org/oSboard, private stuff in separate
- Simon linked agenda items to issues in code.o.o
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Forums Team
==== Minutes of openSUSE Board meeting 2021-05-10 ====
Present: Axel, Gerald, Gertjan, Neal, Simon, Syds, Vinz
== Public Board Meetings ==
AI: Neal to announce details of process around public board meeting
Plan is to use ticketing system to create agenda for next meeting,
then open up and go public with first meeting of June.
May 24th is a public holiday: move to May 25, same time, same station,
then June 7th.
== Proposal for openSUSE.Asia Summit ==
- Lower cost than past years (due to lack of travel)
- Doug supportive
- Board supportive
- Also, we encourage organizers to apply for openSUSE membership!
- Suggestion to promote more strongly, since it's an online event
(and in English language)
- AI Syds: respond to openSUSE.Asia Summit team
== Next step: mailing lists vs other platforms ==
- AI Gertjan: invite Sasi to next meeting
== Sponsorships and events ==
- Syds and Doug working together on overview and list.
== openSUSE Foundation ==
- Simon is to going to resume work on an overview and business case.
- Discussion on arguments
· ability to receive donations
· GDPR separation
. rathole on what data is in which systems, how to address removal
requests,..., systems like Bugzilla, OBS,...
- Discussion on trademarks (and ownership and registrations)
== Alma Linux ... potential sponsorhip for openSUSE Conference ==
- Can they actually sponsor us in a meaningful way (given that it's an
online event only)?
- apparently so (based on Neal's experience working for sponsor of OSC'21)
- Decision: not now, give it another year (at least)
- Decision: no mutual sponsorship
Am Do., 21. Feb. 2019 um 15:32 Uhr schrieb Lars Vogdt
As such, maintaining 447  openSUSE members should not depend on a
single tool. Especially not if the used tool has open, well known
security issues since years.
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:41:19 +0100 Richard Brown wrote:
> This isn't the first time I've asked this question on a public stage,
> but in the hope that this time I get an answer;
> Who volunteers to tackle the problem with connect.o.o and drive
> forward a solution?
I made my proposal already and I stand the point: shut down an insecure
what does "drive forward a solution" mean? Can we integrate the
functions of connect.o.o into other services at openSUSE which are
allready maintained like the openSUSE wiki? A form for travel support
An application for membership could be done by e-mail to an e-mail
address of the membership officials. Elections could be done with an
eVote software like https://github.com/mdipierro/evote for example, but
probably there are better tools.
What did I miss?
I think Lars is right an we should shutdown this insecure system as soon
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-project+unsubscribe(a)opensuse.org
To contact the owner, email: opensuse-project+owner(a)opensuse.org