In an effort to become more open and transparent, the openSUSE Project
Board is evolving its governance process to do more of its task
tracking and meetings in the view of the public.
As a first step for this, we've set up a public task/ticket tracker:
This new tracker is intended for a subset of items:
* openSUSE trademark requests
* openSUSE budget requests (sponsorships, etc.)
* openSUSE event tasks/issues (conferences, etc.)
* Project level governance issues (policy adjustments, etc.)
All remaining board requests (including conflict resolution items) are
still handled via emailing the board at board(a)opensuse.org.
Additionally, we intend to have regular public openSUSE Board meetings
every other Monday starting on June 7 at 13:00 Europe/Berlin time on
openSUSE Meet at https://meet.opensuse.org/OSBoardPublic
It is the sincere wish of the Board that these changes help Members of
the Project become more engaged with the governance of the Project so
that we can become even better in the future.
Respectfully with best regards on behalf of the openSUSE Board,
Neal Gompa (ID: Pharaoh_Atem)
We, the members of the openSUSE Board, strongly value the openSUSE
Code of Conduct and Guiding Principles:
Inclusion is a fundamental pillar of our community and the broader
free software and open source communities that we are part of, are
connected with, and value.
We firmly stand against sexism, racism,... and strive to keep our
communities open, welcoming, and safe for everyone to join.
As a board, we also believe that these principles that apply to our
openSUSE communities shall also apply to the events and groups that
we partner with and sponsor.
We are reassessing our sponsorships in that light.
Axel, Gerald, Gertjan, Neal, Simon, Syds, Vinz
Present: Everyone + 4 Guitars and 2 Basses
* Please note some tickets on code.opensuse.org mentioned in these
minutes may only be accesable by members of the board.
To More Serious business:
Moving people off moderation:
* The Boards impression was that Heroes will automatically do this
after the time has elapsed
* This doesn't seem to have been happening
* AI: Gertjan to raise.
* As a board we want to look at look at the rules around mailing list
usage, to put them
more in line with other communications platforms (Forums, Discord etc)
* AI: add to next meeting agenda - Maybe special topic meeting next week.
* AI: Gertjan - talk to Sasi who sets policies for many other places
about joining the meeting
* Further work on two ongoing conflicts raised with the board,
and closing a third.
Defer Foundation + Emeritus Membership until a future meeting - Don't have
Public Board meetings
* Start meetings in public channel and move to private to discuss
* Trial for 2 months
* If members wish to discuss a topic or ask questions add it to the
agenda atleast by the Thurs before the meeting to help with planning.
* Possibly use ticketing system to create agenda.
* If we do this trial it in private for a few meetings to get it
* Due to urgency in some cases we may need to prioritize private
topics over public.
* AI: Neal to announce - https://code.opensuse.org/board/tickets/issue/2
* Next two meetings will trial the ticketing system in private meetings
* May 24th Trial first public meetings.
* Add explicit note about when it went out
* Add note that we will not be sponsoring the FSF
(Vinz needs to leave)
* Vote on whether we still post to news.o.o 4-1 in favor.
* AI: Gerald to talk to Doug with regards to sending this out
AI: Axel Update bot reminder (Done)
AI: Neal to Eat breakfast (Yes I expect this gets a ticket along with
all AI's in the ticketing system)
Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net
Emergency Update Team keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30
GPG Fingerprint: 5B87 DB9D 88DC F606 E489 CEC5 0922 C246 02F0 014B
Tomorrow, we will have a planning meeting for the openSUSE Conference at
Tuesday at 18:00 UTC. The meetings will take place later in
https://meet.opensuse.org/bar. There will be a brief update and we will
focus mostly on video discussions. The topics will be added to the
#project chat on openSUSE Discord.
One topic we will discuss in the meeting tomorrow is social plans with
workadventure (https://github.com/thecodingmachine/workadventure). If
you are interested in this, please attend.
If you submitted a talk and not confirmed it, please do so ASAP. Also,
if you plan on attending the conference, please register
https://events.opensuse.org. Registered people will receive a token to
use system https://opensuse.venueless.events/
here are the meeting minutes for our board meeting on 2021-04-26.
These are also available on the wiki:
= Minutes of openSUSE Board meeting 2021-04-26, 1300 CEST =
Attendees: Axel, Gertjan, Gerald, Neal, Simon, Vinz
Meeting Minutes: Vinz
== Follow up on agenda action items tooling==
The board discussed the further usage of code-o-o for keeping track of
Project can be found here: https://code.opensuse.org/board/tickets/issues
* Neal made "meeting" tag for the code-o-o board project to track topics
for (future) meetings
* AI Neal: Set up "board2021" and "board2020" repos for separating
private information according to
* AI Neal:
* AI Simon: Add process documentation to board wiki page at "best practices"
==Too much SLE in Leap 15.3==
* Base packages from SLE, updated applications from TW
* KDE stack is outdated
* Reason is Qt not getting updated to at least 5.15 LTS
* Bugfixing in KDE these days mostly requires fixes or updates of Qt
== Follow up on emeritus membership ==
== Follow up on foundation ==
== Follow up on Sponsorships and events ==
* Posponed due to Syds not being present.
Next Meeting Minutes: Gerald
Meeting ends: 1400 CEST
We had meeting last night. Below are the points from the meeting. I'll
be approving the talks soon and sending a drop box (nextcloud) link for
people to upload their videos. We will have another meeting for the
video team in Friday.
#info The CfP ends today May 4
#info Registration 105, Submissions 47, 28 hours, 3 withdrawals
#topic Recording and/or Live Stream Team
#info Had video team meeting on April 30 at 18:00 UTC in
#info Next meeting is May 7 at 18:00 UTC in meet.opensuse.org/bar
#info Datto and AlmaLinux would like to sponsor
#action ddemaio to explore options with AlmaLinux and finalize Datto
#info Link is ready and will send out to registered participants to get
#info Hold off on sending the link until May 11
#info Company sending t-shirts use UPS, which has some delivery
difficulties for some countries.
#info Only one t-shirt per attendee
#info Keynote speaker 1 Sheng Liang, SUSE E&I
#info Keynote speaker 2 Alex Lee, CEO of shells.com
#info Collaboration panel with speakers from different projects (NG, MM,
BC, OK, AS, DC)
Waiting on AW to reply
Recording can be done in OBS or other tools. If someone is good with OBS
(broadcast) and wants to make a quick tutorial for the community on how
to use it, please reply.
Info on where to send the recordings will be sent out to speakers ASAP
Recording should be sent early and quality should be good
If you have never done a recording with OBS or other tool, send a sample
to ddemaio(a)opensuse.org to receive feedback.
Pointers for people doing their video:
Make sure that the audio and ambient conditions are the same
Provide defaults on how to record a video with OBS. Have them send their
recording to get feedback.
Assemble best practices videos (i.e. - speak as though you are talking
to an audience or someone in the room, put something above the camera so
your attention is on the camera.)
We will use the Big Blue Button inside venueless for Q&A Session
Stage 1 Q&A
Stage 2 Q&A
ddemaio added a sentence about OSC21 on openSUSE Discord to events.o.o.
so that people can get in if they lose their email registration.
#action ddemaio send out invite token as participants to attendees and
speaker for speakers
#topics for next meeting
Schedule, video uploads, update status of Video Team, technical staff,
volunteer, speaker guidelines (tips and tricks), test platform as
participants, speaker and other roles
I want to give you an update from the video meeting we had this past
Friday. We will also have a planning meeting for the conference tomorrow
(like every Tuesday) at 18:00 UTC in https://meet.opensuse.org/bar
Below are the keypoints.
April 30 Video Team Meeting
Next Meeting: Friday, May 7 at 18:00 UTC
Participants: ddemaio, IvoErMejo, danimo, Marco, Gertjan
Control center will be with a video team in Nuremberg: Marco, ddemaio
* The preferred format is to have videos recorded and sent to a cloud
service so the video team can play them
* All live talks need to be done after a break
* Live speakers will meet in a back end Jisti room.
o There will be backup Jisit rooms
o Links will be sent to the speakers
* The Jisti rooms will be streamed to the front end -
* Recording can be done in OBS or other tools. If someone is good with
OBS (broadcast) and wants to make a quick tutorial for the community
on how to use it, please relply.
* Info on where to send the recordings will be sent out to speakers ASAP
* Recording should be sentearly and quality should be good
o If you have never done a recording with OBS or other tool, send
a sample to ddemaio(a)opensuse.org to receive feedback.
* Pointers for people doing their video:
o Make sure that the audio and ambient conditions are the same
o Provide defaults on how to record a video with OBS. Have them
send their recording to get feedback.
o Assemble best practices videos (i.e. - speak as though you are
talking to an audience or someone in the room, put something
above the camera so your attention is on the camera.)
* We will use the Big Blue Button inside venueless for Q&A Session
o Stage 1 Q&A
o Stage 2 Q&A
Do a dry run with the videos three days before. Likely June 15
#Live Talk and Team Recordings
* OBS will provide recording of the live talks
* c3voc stream will provide backup recording ability
This is Nick Vidal from Rocket.Chat
We’ve been part of GSoC for 5 years now, and as a way to celebrate and
give back to the open source community, this year we are reaching out
to other GSoC organizations to provide assistance on setting up
Rocket.Chat to engage with students (pro bono).
Rocket.Chat is a leading open source chat platform, and we’ve been
using the platform itself to engage with our own GSoC students. With
Rocket.Chat, it’s possible to create private/public channels for each
student/project so that mentors and students can communicate, share
ideas, and keep track of progress both asynchronously and in real
time. It’s also possible to create integrations to display pull
requests, mergers, and issues directly on these channels.
Please let me know if you would be interested in trying Rocket.Chat to
engage with your GSoC students. Myself and the Community Engagement
team are at your full disposal to help. Our mission is to serve the
open source community!