I am trying to install a slim DVD/CDROM drive to an AMD64 based
linux box running SuSE9.0Pro. MB is AOpen MK89-L, and its bios is
(1) When the box is switched on, the bios seems to detect the drive
as a DVD/CDROM drive correctly.
(2) When I tried to boot from the side 1 of SuSE9.0 DVD, however,
the kernel cannot see the DVD drive, so that in the first stage of
installation, the process stopps.
(3) I found out that DW-28E is recognised by kernel as cdrecorder;
/dev/cdrecorder is a symbolic link to /dev/hdc.
By browsing many web sites, I learnt that this DW-28E is widely usued
on notebook computers, and that with 32bit OS it seems to work fine
for DVD playback. I have not yet check this with a 32bit box, though.
I do not know if my problem is specific to 64bit, either.
My questions are:
(1) Is someone of you using this with amd64?
(2) Is there any quick tricks to use DW-28E as a DVD drive?
Thank you for your attention.