Is there a specific reason why you set CRYPTO_ECDSA=y in the kernel
config, instead of making it a module? I think we want do make things
modular whenever possible so that the base kernel isn't too heavy to
SUSE L3 Support
I'm pretty sure this is a result of the UsrMerge thing. I normally use
kernel-default and kernel-firmware from Kernel:stable on all of my
systems. While kernel-default-5.12.12-2.1.g43254cf.x86_64 works
flawlessly, it fails to locate the firmware files from the latest
Here are the symptoms:
iwlwifi 0000:06:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode failed with error -2
iwlwifi 0000:06:00.0: no suitable firmware found!
iwlwifi 0000:06:00.0: check git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
i915 0000:00:02.0: Direct firmware load for i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin failed with error -2
i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Failed to load DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin. Disabling runtime power management.
i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] DMC firmware homepage: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git…
And indeed, the files used to live at /lib/firmware before, but are now
located at /usr/lib/firmware, however dracut does not look there when
creating the initrd.
This is on Leap 15.3 and 15.2.
Shall I put this into Bugzilla?
One of the motivations for UsrMerge is to have all read-only parts of
the operating system in /usr. The kernel packages install files in /boot
though which isn't in line with that idea.
Looking at Fedora they install files like vmlinuz that used to be named
/boot/$name-$kver as (/usr)/lib/modules/$kver/$name instead. They
include /boot/$name-$kver as %ghost.
Since all necessary information is passed to
/usr/lib/bootloader/bootloader_entry in %post, that script could create
links or copies in /boot if needed.
Does anyone have a better idea or can we just follow Fedora's approach here?
(o_ Ludwig Nussel
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer
HRB 36809 (AG Nürnberg)
I am wondering if there is any kernel available by default which offers kernel interrupt timer (CONFIG_HZ) at 1000 Hz. I checked preempt in 15.2 but there it is 250 Hz.
Why this is kept at 250 Hz there?
My use case is very special: my environment is dealing with high speed cameras and the low frequency is needed to be able to manage high frame speed at several thousand frames per second.
Right now I am using a special desktop kernel from a foreign source however I am wondering if there is any chance to have this into mainline LEAP distro available?
I know my use case is very special and I should be able to maintain my own kernel for this, however I am wondering if this would be a nice benefit of the LEAP distribution in general and why the preempt kernel is kept at lower frequency still...
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021, 13:26:48 +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm not sure when it started, but noticed it around 5.12.9 - have to
> admit though, that I was probably very lazy when doing backups during
> the last months... Anyway, when plugging a SATA disk into some disk
> tray, the kernel doesn't detect a new device. This used to work
> perfectly some months before, and it actually still does on Leap's
> default kernel (both 15.2 and 15.3). The following kernels both show
> this bug:
strange thing, really!
Just found the culprit: somehow the "Hot Plug" bit for the SATA port
connected to the tray box got disabled in the BIOS. Really don't know
how this could have happened, but I guess it must have been during a
BIOS update as the misbehaviour could be reproduced on two otherwise
[Just FYI: https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1186900]
some changes to the packaging infra not too long ago result in failed builds
of certain kernel module packages, eg:
Here's a typical failing sequence:
[ 45s] + for flavor in default
[ 45s] + cp -a src obj-default
[ 45s] + pushd obj-default
[ 45s] ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/lime-1.9+git.20200809T155235.fa37b69/obj-default ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/lime-1.9+git.20200809T155235.fa37b69
[ 45s] ++ make -si -C /usr/src/linux-obj/x86_64/default ARCH=x86 kernelrelease
[ 46s] + kver=5.12.9-1-default
[ 46s] + make -j4 KVER=5.12.9-1-default KDIR=/usr/src/linux-obj/x86_64/default modules
[ 46s] make -C /lib/modules/5.12.9-1-default/build M="/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/lime-1.9+git.20200809T155235.fa37b69/obj-default" modules
[ 46s] make: *** /lib/modules/5.12.9-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
The reason is some wrong (packaged) symlinks in the kernel-$flavor-devel package.
After co/building the package, chroot into the build env_
abuild@xrated:~> cd /lib/modules/5.12.9-1-default/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 33 Jun 5 16:01 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 30 Jun 5 16:01 ../
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 50 Jun 3 23:57 build -> ../../../usr/src/linux-5.12.9-1-obj/x86_64/default
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jun 3 23:57 source -> ../../../usr/src/linux-5.12.9-1
abuild@xrated:/lib/modules/5.12.9-1-default> l ../../..
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 169 Jun 5 16:01 ./
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Jun 5 16:01 ../
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 21 Jun 5 16:01 X11R6/
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 Jun 5 16:01 bin/
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 175 Jun 5 16:01 etc/
dr-xr-xr-x 34 root root 8192 Jun 5 16:01 include/
dr-xr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Jun 5 16:01 lib/
dr-xr-xr-x 18 root root 16384 Jun 5 16:01 lib64/
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 136 Jun 5 16:01 libexec/
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 118 May 25 07:58 local/
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 5 16:01 sbin/
dr-xr-xr-x 43 root root 4096 Jun 5 16:01 share/
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 100 Jun 5 16:01 src/
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 43 May 25 07:58 x86_64-suse-linux/
The build and source symlinks either miss another ../ or usr/ needs to go.