this is my first posting to this mailing list server, so if I'm doing
something wrong please don't hesitate to inform me.
I bought two months ago SuSE 8.0 Professional (boxed with 7 CD's and 1 DVD).
I learned a lot from this installation process as well as of SuSE linux (I'm
I downloaded SuSE 8.1 now from the Swiss Mirror server on a PC with W2K. I
want to make a clean install of SusE 8.1 on my Linux PC, on which now
resides SuSE 8.0.
This is what Iive done now:
1. I wrote the boot.cd of SuSE 8.1 on a CD-ROM (raw write).
2. I connected the my W2K PC with my SuSE PC with a Cat 5 crossover cable.
3. I made the SuSE 8.1 folder on my W2K PC shared allowed.
4. I changed BIOS setting of my SuSE PC, so it could boot from the CD-ROM.
5. I booted from the bootable CD-ROM.
Once done it asks for another CD, which I don't have. So I choose at some
point Network. However, it did not recognise a network.
What do I have to do, so that I can go from my SuSE PC (booted from the
bootable CD) to the folder on my W2K PC and get SuSE 8.1 installed from
Why I want to make a fresh install? I want to have GRUBS instead of LILO as
bootloader and have everything fresh on my HD.
You can respond in either German or English. I wrote this in English because
I believe my writing skill are better in this language.
Look forward hearing!