Re: [yast-devel] ERROR: For RAID1, select at least 2 device.
On 19.4.2016 13:56, Felix Miata wrote:
Use case:
only 4 SATA ports on mobo (most common mATX motherboard configuration)
1 SATA port connected to DVD RW (also common)
2 SATA ports connected to original RAID1

OK, looks like a common desktop - good description.

BTW, please, use fate.suse.com if you want to file a feature request.

User wants to replace entire RAID by first creating (degraded) new RAID1
on larger disk on last SATA port, then rsync from old to new while
booted from DVD, after which remove old raid intact to some other
machine as a backup, and lastly boot from new with other new disk
connected and complete the new RAID.

This setup is, indeed, for very experienced users who made a mistake
while they were partitioning their disks for the very first time. This
use-case has a bit different answer: Use separate data partition, be it
a RAID or not. Have your system on a different partition, again on a
RAID or without.

Additionally, I'd suggest such user to buy an external USB disk and save
their backup there, having two disks in the same computer especially
next to each other asks for unexpected failures anyway.

But thanks for your use case, Felix. It's still a valid one, while I'm
afraid, it will be quite rarely used.

Thanks
Lukas

SLE Department, SUSE Linux