[yast-devel] Redesign of yast.github.io
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 15:29:52 +0100
See attached screenshot with the first draft of the redesign made by Ken
Wimer for http://yast.github.io/

It looks much nicer and more modern and it also makes obvious that we
need to discuss something about the website's target audience and, thus,
the best information structure.

Originally it was targeted to developers (with the idea of keeping the
user oriented information in the openSUSE wiki). 90% of the content was
in the "get involved" page. Even the "modules" section was intended to
be specially useful for developers. The front page was there just
because we needed one. :-)

But then we started to add more "sales" content into the front page,
blurring the target a little bit. It's not that bad because is still
clear that everything under the "get involved" section is targeted to
developers (or contributors in general).

In the layout proposed by Ken (it's just a draft), the subsections
targeted to developers "getting started", "development documentation"
and "processes and guidelines" are at the same level than the rest. It
makes sense to make the information more visible at a first glance, not
hiding 90% of the content behind the "get involved" link, but in my
opinion that also means that we should change the front page content and
style to make obvious that it's a developer's portal, not a product
page. Unless we want it to be both things (I don't think it makes much
sense for us, I would stick to developers as only target).

I will meet with Ken to discuss next steps, so I'd like to hear
everybody's opinion.

Cheers.

--
Ancor González Sosa