Re: [yast-devel] RFC: Drop yast2 sw_single CLI interface

Hello,

On Aug 29 19:44 Rajko wrote (excerpt):
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:36:52 +0200
Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Starting zypper automatically looks too "smart" for me, I'd leave the
decision to use zypper (or something else) to the user.

Think of it in a different way.

Majority of users are looking for performed operations, not tools that
are used.

If you plan to provide text ready for copy paste, you can issue
warning:
"yast -i <package>" is depreciated, using "zypper install <package>"
instead.
and then install package.

This way 99% of users that follow old way, possibly following some out
of date instructions, have nothing to do, and 1% that rely on some
"yast -i" specific behavior have warning if result is not what they
expect.

I think to be really backward compatible, there should be a popup
that informs the user as shown above and waits a specific time for
user accept or deny and if the timeout passed without user response
the default action should be to run "zypper install <package>".

In old YCP one would have used something like Popup::TimedAnyQuestion()
to implement such a behaviour.

This way "yast -i <package>" could still work even unattended.
Perhaps some users call "yast -i <package>" in scripts?
This might be of importance for those users that are not yet included
in the 99% and 1% above ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner