Re: [yast-devel] YCC Icon Labels and Dialog Titles
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:09:31 +0200
Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> writes:

I think usually they should be intentionally different.

The icon label text should be usually one or two generic words
which _name_ the module as a whole.

In contrast the title of the particular dialog which is shown
initially should be usually several words which _describe_ what
this particular dialog is about (usually some kind of overview)
so that one or two generic words which name the module as a whole
are insufficient to distinguish the overview from other dialogs.

Perhaps when the module has basically only one dialog and
when there are only minimal differences, it may make sense
(depending on the particular case) to have the same word
for icon label and dialog title - but not in general - and
of course never ever "always the same".

Maybe. I also thought about it, but I do not want to judge about it
(this should be up to the usability guys.).

At least, make sure that "Language" does not start a configuration
dialog with the title "Language_s_" and "Software Management" one with
the title "Software Manager".

Even if we do not want to use the same string in both places, we should
define both strings in one place to make sure they are nicely in sync.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation