Re: [yast-devel] redesign of repo module UI
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:41:27 +0100

Dne 23.2.2010 17:30, Johannes Meixner napsal(a):

Hello,

On Feb 23 16:41 Katarina Machalkova wrote (shortened):
This was about bug #580938, which complains that "DNS tab of
network configuration is too technical"

i.e. I was not referring to configuration of bind, dnsmasq & friends,
but to
the dialog that configures 'nameserver' entries in one's
/etc/resolv.conf.

A perfect example for my previous mail.

I fully agree that "DNS" is too technical for this setup task
(i.e. a normal end-user wants to set up his workstation
in a DHCP-less network).

On the one hand the "ultimate goal" is that network setup
on an end-user workstation works without help text.

Fully-understandable and self-explanatory UI is the goal. But sometimes,
there are situations where adding more information will only confuse the
great self-explanatory UI...

On the other hand "ultimate changes everywhere" are needed
to get there - here in particular changes in Mac OS and
Windows which use the same technical term and thereby define
a word which is actually meaningless for most normal end-users
but they must have learned like a performing animal to react
appropriately when they spot this word on the screen.

...and that's why we have to be prepared for those cases where UI just
cannot be self-explanatory. Of course, if users read the help text
assigned to one/some of the not-exactly-100%-self-explanatory widget,
they will have to remember it and probably not use it again, so having
that piece of information on the screen is not needed anymore.

Having a help text is a fallback, but we definitely need this fallback
to be defined as we can never 100% guarantee that there will never be
such a case when it is needed. Of course, we have to invest more time
into defining self-explanatory UI.

Bye
Lukas