Re: [yast-devel] redesign of repo module UI
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:11:07 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 23 15:05 Katarina Machalkova wrote (shortened):

There is nothing wrong with the effort to create UI that is simple and self-
explanatory. But - there are concepts you can't do away with and yet you can't
make them self-explanatory no matter how hard you try.

Taking the recent 'wontfix-ed' example - what if I don't know what a DNS
server is?

I don't know what "the recent 'wontfix-ed' example" is.

Regardless of the particular "'wontfix-ed' example"
the ultimate goal of usability is that no help text
is needed at all for the normal use cases.

E.g. a safe shutdown of an atomic power plant should not
require a help text to be read before but in contrast
disassembling of an atomic power plant may require some
kind of help text to be read before.

Because it is an "ultimate goal" it means that "ultimate
changes everywhere" are probably needed to get there
so that currently help texts are still needed in many cases.

Perhaps many of our current setup tools are still too much
focused on the particular lower-level technical task
for example in the past when we had something like
"configure the CUPS server (cupsd)" which should be moved
step by step towards the higher-level end-user's task like
what we have now as "print via network" and "share printers".
Even the latter still have help texts but hopefully it is
a step into the right direction.

Likewise I think most end-users do not want to know what
a DNS server is which may indicate that a task like
"configure DNS server" is still too much a low-level
technical task so that one could ask what the initial
end-user's task was which lead him to the "configure DNS"
stuff (of course except the end-user is a network admin
and his initial task is to set up his DNS server).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex