Re: [yast-devel] redesign of repo module UI
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:20:41 +0100

Dne 23.2.2010 15:14, Jiří Suchomel napsal(a):
On Tuesday 23 of February 2010 15:05:07 Katarina Machalkova wrote:
Concerning help:
Currently there is no explicit "help" concept in webYaST.
One reason is that usability studies

Which usability studies? [citation needed]

showed that users often find "Help" quite unhelpful

But that's not the fault of the users! Why should the users be punished for
the fact that hackers are unable to write proper help by being given no
help at all?

There is nothing wrong with the effort to create UI that is simple and
self- explanatory. But - there are concepts you can't do away with and yet
you can't make them self-explanatory no matter how hard you try.

I'm not sure how solution should look like, but here I agree with Katarina.
The fact that some help texts are bad does not mean the concept of help is
useless in general. And even with most self-explanatory UI we are able to
make, we'll run into problems some times.
Example: webyast administrator, where UI itself can't explain
which 'administrator' is being configured.

SLMS uses inline (?) icons that open/close a help text below the
described object. Works well, looks quite good, no complains so far.

'My' bank application (RB, eKonto) changes a mouse pointer to 'pointer
with (?) icon' in case there is a help text assigned to an object. Opens
a popup help text if you click on that object. Works quite well but I
found SLMS-way a better one. It's explicit and easy to learn and.

Bye
Lukas