Re: [opensuse] big help needed with dual boot win 8.1 and 13.2
  • From: Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 20:50:53 +0100
On Wed, 2015-01-07 at 12:39 -0500, Doug wrote:
<snip>
You can install Windows 8.1 even if you don't have the system disk,
_IF_ you have recorded the installation key. If you don't have the install
key,
I'm pretty sure you're out of luck, unless you can talk the dealer into
giving you a disk with the proper key.
</snip>

Small comment on that,
Some months ago, I feared my daughter hosed her laptop (W7.1 & OS_13.1)

I assumed I had to re-install the lot, but I could not find the original
key.

After some googling I learned that the keys are stored encrypted on the
disk, and there are tools for finding the keys for 7, 7.1, 8, 8.1 and
make them readable so you re-use them again
Bad news however is that these are windows programs.
It seems very unlikely you can run them under wine ...

as for me, I remembered that before doing anything with that laptop, i
booted 13.1 and did a "dd" from the entire hdd to an usb-drive, so i
don't have personal experience with the key-finder-tool, but perhaps
someone else on the list.

hw