Re: [opensuse] xinitd: package imap not installed: service can not be enabled.
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:51:28 -0500
* Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-16-10 09:42]:
* Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx> [12-16-10 06:27]:
xinetd needs a package called imap, to enable the service, which can not
be found.
If this package exists: where would this be?
if not: and this should/could be a script: what should be in there, and
where should it reside?

Well, you are not looking hard enough!

software.opensuse.org/search
imap

first page
http://software.opensuse.org/search/download?base=openSUSE%3A11.3&file=server%3A%2Fmail%2FopenSUSE_11.3_standard%2Fx86_64%2Fimap-2007e_suse-6.1.x86_64.rpm&query=imap

some help greatly appreciated, even from 'oldtimers' who consider me a
'youngster' :-)

I rezembul that remarck

ps: Just to try it, I installed dovecot and squirrelmail, set them up
and have them working and enabled the imaps service via yast2/xinitd.

I can remotely and locally access my email via
mutt/squirrellmail/seamonkey -mail/eudora (on windoz systems only) and my
vboxes.

It works. But I still prefer sshing into the home machine and accessing
my email via mutt in a remote xterm session(putty or ssh).