Re: [opensuse] Making KDE the default desktop once again
  • From: Dan Goodman <dan.goodman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:41:35 -0400

The majority of the openSUSE user base uses KDE, this is not in dispute. Would
it not then make more sense to have KDE as the default desktop?

For me it would not, both because when I chose this distro, I wanted to
be able to run both. Didn't quite work out (see below) that I could do
so on the same box, but...
What do you think? Has having a choice of desktop at installation time brought
any tangible benefit?
Definitely. After a fiasco I went through trying to install KDE3, KDE4,
Gnome AND a couple more DE's during an update from 10.3 to 11.1, I had
to start over with a clean install, and went with Gnome only. Had I not
had the choice, I would have probably switched distros instead (although
reluctantly).
Should openSUSE go back to using KDE as the default
desktop or maybe you think that GNOME should be the default desktop instead?

Neither ... choice is good. Keeps the competititon honest, etc., and
serves the need of more users and potential users.
You can vote for this either way at the openFATE feature request Frank
created. <https://features.opensuse.org/306967>

It is my understanding that this post constitutes a recording of my
vote. If not, please reply to me directly (originator only, pls.)

Dan

Notice: This communication, including attachments, may contain confidential or
proprietary information to be conveyed solely for the intended recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient, or if you otherwise received this message
in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly
delete this e-mail, including attachments, without reading or saving them in
any manner. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction
of this e-mail, including attachments, is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.