Re: [opensuse] KDE4.2
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:53:40 +1100
Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:
Sven Burmeister wrote:

Am Dienstag, 27. Januar 2009 18:43:31 schrieb Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate
Webmaster:

I was just going to ask if there were official 4.2 (final) rpms for
SUSE. Of those of you who are running 4.2, are you using a RC, or the
final version? If there is a repository for 4.2 final, can you tell me
where it is?

Google + kde4 + opensuse gets you to: http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4

Sven

I saw that after my last post, but I had to wonder if the KDE 4.2 there
is based on a release candidate, as they are labeled "UNSTABLE". Does
anyone know if the KDE 4.2 posted there is based on the final (i.e. GM)
4.2 officially released today?

When I had opensuse 11.0, I did several KDE 4.x upgrades... all with
just a few clicks. It would be nice to do the same here, assuming again
that the opensuse sources contain the final/stable version of KDE 4.2,
and not a RC or beta.

Maybe there isn't a seamless and simple way to simply upgrade 4.1.3 to
4.2 GM (yet), especially without dependency problems. Can anyone comment
on this?

Here is a copy of a message I posted yesterday in opensuse-factory re
4.2 followed by the response I received to my questions. Both will
answer everyone's queries about updating to KDE4.2

QUOTE

In anticipation of the release of KDE4.2 Final later today I would like
to firstly state what my current situation is re having KDE4.2 RC1 on my
system, and also ask a couple of questions.

I am running oS 11.1 with KDE4.2RC1 - at least this is what the logon
screen suggests when queried; but I am wondering if I *am* running all
the correct files necessary for 4.2RC1.

I am using the following repositories which I *believe* are the correct
ones to have used to have 4.2RC1 on the system for testing (but the
naming convention used in the repos is a tad confusing):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.1

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory_Desktop

I also have these which are used for the original 4.1 installation:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.1

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Backports/openSUSE_11.1

My questions are, (1) have I used the correct repositories above (the
first 3 in particular) to have 4.2RC1 for testing on my system, and (2)
will using these repositories also update my system to KDE4.2 Final when
it is released later today?

UNQUOTE

The response I received from Martin:

QUOTE