Re: [opensuse] 11.0 - Can't make A4 paper default go away
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:28:27 +1100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 19:17 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Clayton wrote:

Ha, now you know how it is for the rest of the planet that uses A4,
and every bit of software we use always insists that we use US Letter.

Not to mention that they also always default to "US English" (even
though the rest of the world uses "UK English") and to some Timezone in USA.

Australia just could never break free of England, eh :) :) :)

We have tried but I don't think it will happen while the current monarch
is enthroned.

On top of that those twits who want to elect a president the way the
Americans elect their president need to rehabilitated and when they have
seen the light only then could we take serious steps to break away from
England and become a republic.

I think there should be a "AUS English" option as well.

Strangely enough there is that choice in Windows. There is also the
choice of having an Australian dictionary in, say, Thunderbird and even
OpenOffice but there is no such choice in oS setup itself.

The other thing which annoys the heck out of me is that Canberra is the
capital of Australia and yet it is not mentioned in the oS setup as a
choice during the selection of the Timezone.

BTW, I have the same issue with the default paper always being Letter,
not A4 when I add a printer via CUPS. However, when I add a printer via
iPrint, it seems our company-wide printer setup sets the paper to
'default', which seems to be whatever the printer has as default. I
would think that would be the better default for newly added printers
than and specific choice.

I am not sure but I think that the only place where Letter is used is
America while the rest of the world uses A4. It is therefore the obvious
choice to have A4 as the default and if American users - who are in the
minority - want Letter then they should alter the default setting.

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the