Re: [opensuse] 11.0 - Can't make A4 paper default go away
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:58:58 +1100
Felix Miata wrote:
Whenever I try to print for the first time in a new app or new user, nothing
happens if I don't remember to go into the app's paper setup and select the
proper paper. It seems this is because I own no A4 paper nor A4 paper trays,
yet the system defaults to A4 paper.

In YaST2 printer, after waiting eternally for repo data I didn't ask for to
download, I select printer options for my only printer, and driver options
default paper in your printer is grayed out and set to A4. How do I change
the global default to letter? What mysterious file is set to A4? How do I
eradicate the possibility of using A4 paper? Is it even possible to acquire
A4 paper in the USA?

Interestingly enough, my printer defaults to Letter, which is the USA
standard, and not the A4 we use here (in Australia). I set the default
to A4 and it keeps coming back with Letter :-) .

(I also found that under KDE4.2RC1 any settings I set for mc (midnight
commander) are ignored and the next time I start mc I get the original,
default, settings. Not nice. But I have found the solution to the
problem, and also figure that KDE4.2 Final just might again have things
working as they did like in 4.1.)

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the