Re: [opensuse] Update notification/install with default Suse Window manager
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:11:11 +1100
Dave Feustel wrote:
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:16:57PM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Dave Feustel wrote:

Well, I have removed both the kdelibs3 and kdelibs4 and rebooted. After
a reboot and login I have the default Suse window manager. There seems
to be no longer any icon that turns orange when there are updates.
Can I bring that icon up on the native suse panel or is there some other
way to be aware of and install updates?

Thanks.

The icon is an applet and should be found in
Launcher>Applications>System>Desktop Applets>kupdateapplet.

There is no launcher option in the Suse Desktop right button menu.
Find / -name 'kupdate*' produces no filenames.
So I wonder if the applet is part of kde4 and it went away with
all the kdelibs4. I also looked for gnome apps.
Can you determine the name of the file corresponding to kupdateapplet?

Thanks.

There appear to be 2 RPMs:

1) kde4-kupdateapplet-0.8.34-2.1 which puts itself into
/usr/bin/kupdateapplet; and

2) kde-kupdateapplet-packagekit-0.8.34-2.1 but this produces a .so file
and something else in (?)/usr/lib/kde4/???

(BTW, I am running 11.1 with KDE4.2RC1.)

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the