Re: [opensuse] Remove all kde code from s11
  • From: Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:01:56 +0100 (CET)
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:04:59PM +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 25 January 2009 16:45:48 Dave Feustel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:35:27PM +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 25 January 2009 14:59:49 Dave Feustel wrote:
Thanks for the howto! I have been running Fedora 9 with all kde code
removed and Fedora 9 runs 'better' for me that way. I want to try
running S11 the same way and see if I get the same effect.
(This is possible for me since I mainly run xterm, firefox, and vim).

This must be a placebo effect. If you don't start a program, it can't
possibly have any effect on your system, other than consuming disk space

The effect that I have noted on Fedora is definitely not placebo, but
that effect may have no connection with the presence/absence of kde.
That's one reason why I wanted to try running S11 without kde.

I removed all of kde3 and noticed that a lot of software was downloaded
during the removal process. OpenOffice 2.4 components were downloaded
and I got a bunch of errors fro OO 2.4 when I ran it after removing kde3
stuff. Still wondering why all the stuff was downloaded.

Could be that you have non-standard repositories added, perhaps? Things were
pulled in through dependencies which weren't there before?!

Note that I had those problems with OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Fedora and Suse.
KDE/Konqueror is hard to interface with SELinux, according to _SELinux_
by Mccarty (p.40,p94).

Hard to say without knowing what it was that got installed.

And no KDE components would be started by any of those three programs.

What I failed to mention before is that Konqueror had been my default
browser until I discovered NoScript plugin for Firefox and began using
Firefox 100% of the time as my browser.

Ah, well, konqueror does have several drawbacks as a web browser, so
switching
to firefox would make a difference. But you don't have to uninstall kde just
to do that

Actually, I really liked Konqueror and kde4, but Firefox with NoScript does
pretty
much exactly what I want even more than Konqueror did.

Anders