Re: [opensuse] Please! Let Me Double-Click!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:26:48 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-01-25 at 23:22 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Rajko M. wrote:

All after that is showcase of mutual non-understanding.
Additional comments taking one side as correct doesn't help.
IMHO, the best is to let this episode collect dust in archives.

While I agree with the general thrust of your last paragraph, there is
one aspect of this which has to mentioned - as I have already mentioned
in other posts over time, namely that people who do not have English as
their first language -- and you must remember that this list *is*
specifically aimed at the English speaking - that such people using this
forum should be careful about what they say and how they say it.

Hum!

I must disagree.

I can't consider this list specifically aimed to the English speaking people, but to them and to the people who are not English speaking people, but who use English as a medium to communicate with other people that have a different language than their own - be it English, French, Russian, Chinese... English is used as an international exchange language, by others and by the Linux community. It could be any other another language. It could be Esperanto, or the previous interchange language, French. But it is not.

Thus I can not accept this list to be claimed to be "owned" by English only speakers.

And in the same way that I have to accept that domestic USA issues pop in here (they form the majority of users here, probably), you have to accept and make an effort to communicate with people that don't write correct English. We all have, both English speaking and non English speaking people.

I am *not* saying that those who do have English as their first language
are *perfect* at its use - and I am one of them (even though my first
languages were Russian/Mandarin/English, in that mix); and it is often
quite challenging to read and understand what is stated. Nor am I
stating that people who don't have English as their first language
should not post here- far from it. However, if I spoke/wrote a little
bit of Urdu I would not enter into a slinging match with someone in a
forum predominantly used by Urdu speaking people.

To give a small example of what someone who is supposed to have compete
control over *English* because s/he is a journalist, here is something I
read recently locally, "The ******* was charged with ***** the
[person], who cannot be named, just before Christmas."

What does this sentence actually mean?

It is usually considered that USA journalists use English differently, specially on the headlines. I can't often understand them.

Was "the [person], who cannot be named, "****" "just before Christmas"?

Or was "The ******" "charged" "just before Christmas" "with *********
the [person]"?

In reality, the sentence, to convey the exact situation and without any
ambiguity should have been written by the journo, or at least amended by
the editor, to read, "The ***** was charged just before Christmas with
***** the [person], who cannot be named."

Right. So, if some person writes something that we don't understand, we can ask that person to explain again, or just ignore it if we are busy or don't feel too kind at the moment >:-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.