Re: [opensuse] Please! Let Me Double-Click!
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:22:28 +1100
Rajko M. wrote:
On Sunday 25 January 2009 03:06:30 am peter nikolic wrote:

Sven ..

You are mixing up the meanings and wording of things once again .

I have kept quiet about this so far but it seems it is something you are
vey good at maybe not deliberatley but still you do on a regular basis

He has KDE3.xxx installed and set to DOUBLE CLICK ! BUT as is the PITA
ways of 11.0 and 11.1 it also installs an amount of KDE4.xxx apps that DO
NOT play by the same rules as the KDE3.xxx apps they will not obey the
KDE3.xxx settings and work DOUBLE CLICK but keep on their own merry ways of
SINGLE CLICK , what he wants is to know HOW to force these AUTOMATICALLY
installed KDE4.xxx apps to behave correctly and use DOUBLE CLICK as there
KDE3.xxx counterparts do WITHOUT INSTALLING ALL of KDE4.xxx

maybe you understand now Eh!.

Hi Pete,

Many haven't noticed that Sven's answer in the second post of this thread
contains solution, as Randall stated. The only problem is that his answer was
short, simple advice, like many other he is giving around, but that wasn't
the one Randall was looking for.

If you want to have control over kde4 applications you need kde4 utility for
that, which is kcmshell4. The easiest way to have it is to install kde4
desktop. The only problem was that he skipped details and said just "install
kde4" which Randall refused.

Following, somewhat angry response from Sven, can be understood, if you take
that in his opinion he gave the answer that would help, but Randall discarded
it because he did not want whole KDE4, which also can be understood.

All after that is showcase of mutual non-understanding.
Additional comments taking one side as correct doesn't help.
IMHO, the best is to let this episode collect dust in archives.

While I agree with the general thrust of your last paragraph, there is
one aspect of this which has to mentioned - as I have already mentioned
in other posts over time, namely that people who do not have English as
their first language -- and you must remember that this list *is*
specifically aimed at the English speaking - that such people using this
forum should be careful about what they say and how they say it.

I am *not* saying that those who do have English as their first language
are *perfect* at its use - and I am one of them (even though my first
languages were Russian/Mandarin/English, in that mix); and it is often
quite challenging to read and understand what is stated. Nor am I
stating that people who don't have English as their first language
should not post here- far from it. However, if I spoke/wrote a little
bit of Urdu I would not enter into a slinging match with someone in a
forum predominantly used by Urdu speaking people.

To give a small example of what someone who is supposed to have compete
control over *English* because s/he is a journalist, here is something I
read recently locally, "The ******* was charged with ***** the
[person], who cannot be named, just before Christmas."

What does this sentence actually mean?

Was "the [person], who cannot be named, "****" "just before Christmas"?

Or was "The ******" "charged" "just before Christmas" "with *********
the [person]"?

In reality, the sentence, to convey the exact situation and without any
ambiguity should have been written by the journo, or at least amended by
the editor, to read, "The ***** was charged just before Christmas with
***** the [person], who cannot be named."

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the