[opensuse] Re: Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:16:31 -0500
auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The opensuse 11.1 kernel isn't preemptible because of some errors. Try
compiling the opensuse or vanilla one with CONFIG_PREEMPT set.

No true, it is just not set. I change mine to "low latency
desktop". Also the "Timer frequency" in the defaults SuSE kernek is set
to for server use. You should change it to either 300 Hz (for a balance if
you do run servers) or 1000 Hz.

For best multimedia performance, here is a list of settings:

,----
| General Setup:
| Disable "Optimize for size"
| Disable "Control Group support"
| Disable "Group CPU scheduler"
|
| Processor type and features:
| Enable "Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks)"
| Enable "High Resolution Timer Support"
| Choose your CPU type in "Processor family"
| Choose "Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop)" as "Preemption Model"
| Choose "1000Hz" as "Timer frequency"
`----

Charles

--
"Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The
Labs."