Re: [opensuse] Workspaces X Wallpapers (KDE4)
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:42:44 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, January 8, 2009 17:41, David C. Rankin wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

ROFLCOPTER!!!
People, you're discussing frakkin' wallpapers!
That can hardly be called a major usability issue.
If you want to rant, rant about poor support for screenreaders, for the
visually impaired.

Amedee,

From a product management standpoint, the point is much larger than any
one
nit or application. The point is the apparent total incompetence on the
part of
some to be able to manage simple parts of what heretofore has been a
perfectly
functioning and working linux distribution without breaking it. The second
point is the apparent total lack of oversight or meaningful QA to make
sure
that the simple stuff isn't released until it is ready and doesn't go out
the
door broken.

That doesn't sound like Suse. Sounds more like Debian stable.

There is no excuse for putting out backgrounds that don't work or
sysconfig
editors that don't edit or software search functions that don't search or
abort
functions that don't abort or yast interfaces that are so squished you
can't
read the fields, and the list goes on and on with 11.1.

When there are unexplainable problems with the very basic and
rudimentary
parts of a release, it calls into question the quality, fitness and
attention
to detail of the entire release and makes you wonder "did somebody turn
openSuSE over to a bunch of teenagers to manage?" There is no excuse for
patent
incompetence.

Now you are describing problems of Ubuntu, and the reasons why I switched
to OpenSuse.

I know software releases have growing pains and I accept that. I am more
than
happy to devote time to helping fix new applications and new functionality
make the distro better. It is just very frustrating to have to waste all
the
time, energy and effort, fixing things that used to work perfectly but are
now
broken.

That is effort wasted fixing things that never should have been broken
in
the
first place or should not have been released until an adult had QA'ed the
code.
When you are wasting effort fixing problems that shouldn't exist, you have
lost
all of that positive effort that should have been used to add capability
or new
function, but instead was used to fix a screw up.

If you don't want to waste time and energy, don't report your bugs at your
distribution if you are certain that the bugs aren't distribution related
but application related. In the case of KDE4, OpenSuse isn't to blame.
Just report directly to the KDE4 developers and skip the layer of
Opensuse.

That's what I do. All the time. And I'm getting results.

--
Amedee