Re: [opensuse] 9.1 aka 10.1 aka 11.1 aka lousy Christmas present?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:00:16 -0600
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2008/12/24 07:22 (GMT-0500) James Knott composed:

If things don't improve, 11.1 may be the one distro I skip.

9.1 was first 2.6 release, hardly a good release. 10.1 had a butchered
package management system, definitely not a good release. 11.1? I'm not sure
I've seen a clearly major guffaw, but there sure seems to be a lot of minors
and near majors: KDE4 still isn't anywhere near as useful as KDE3. Wireless
problems. Partitioner usability problems. RAID problems. Chopped off
non-resizable columns in YaST2. Failure to boot. DVD access problems.
Horrible Intel video performance. What did I miss?

Novell should have stuck to an 8-9 month release plan and let 11.1 out Feb or
March. I'm thinking my 10.2 replacement box may need to get 11.0 instead of
11.1. I need to decide soon. 11.0 could get done today instead of waiting for
the retail 11.1 to arrive.

I just did a quick review of my favorite releases. Curiously, the best fall
into the .0 or .3 category. From 8.0 Pro on through 10.3 and 11.0 all the best
have been .0 or .3. (Not to slight 8.2 or 10.2, both very solid performers)

You would think that the .0 releases would be less favorite given all
the
excuses prior to 11.1 with "there are a lot of new things in a .0 release",
"don't expect too much" blather, blather.. But just looking back at the past
two 10.0 and 11.0, both were fabulous.

History isn't too kind to the .1 releases. So much so that I never
loaded
10.1. From my experience thus far, it would appear we, as always, fail to learn
from our mistakes which makes history bound to repeat itself over, and over
again. Better hope Santa brought you a lump of coal instead. It will warm you
for a while with much less stress and headache...

Although 11.1 did allow me to reach a new milestone. I passed the 50 bug
report filed mark and I'm presently at 55 and counting. So 11.1 did have a
contribution to make ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC