Re: [opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:24:20 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2009-01-07 at 15:02 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

Another reason, indirectly, is a want to segregate programs and data
according to relative disk speed. Usually the fastest part is up front, while
the slowest at the end.

I once measured speed, and found the fastest was at 1/3 of the space. I made something like perhaps 30 partitions of the same size, same format, and then I used hdparm -tT on all of them. After the test, I made my real partitioning decissions :-)

I never put /boot on anything but a primary, while I nearly always have a
primary on each HD that can function as a /boot.

My factory boot is on /hda8. The trick is that I have another grub in MBR (the main one) which I use to load the second grub. Ok, now I would not install grub to MBR, but at the time, it was the default practice.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.