Re: [opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:38:22 -0600
RESOLVED!

It does appear that Grub *itself* has a problem loading into extended partitions, .. as testing with multipel kernels (System Rescue, Nexradix, and SuSE 11.1 Repair & Rescue) found the same problem - Grub itself refuses to accept a logical partition as 'Root'!

To recap:

> 11.1 initially installed [successfully] as follows:

sda1 Extended
sda5 Swap
sda6 Root
sda7 Home

Which ran fine! Unfortunately, formatting sda2 caused Grub to rewrite the boot loader, AND IT HOSED THE SYSTEM (i.e no bootable partitions found)!!

> Given that Grub has a problem with logical partitions, I shuffled them as follows, creating a 512MB /boot partition for Grub:

sda1 Primary (/boot)
sda2 Extended
sda5 Swap
sda6 Root
sda7 Home

Using sda4 temporarily as storage for BUs from Root & Home, .. restoring them to the proper partitions, .. then installing Grub to sda1 /boot restored the system to operation.

The remaining question, however, is HOW THE 11.1 INSTALLER CREATED A WORKING GRUB CONFIGURATION when Grub itself cannot.

Thanks for all the replies!

Lee