Re: [opensuse] Workspaces X Wallpapers (KDE4)
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:32:27 -0600
On Wednesday 2009 January 07 09:11:26 Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009 13:32:17 schrieb James Knott:
Clayton wrote:
As has been said many many many times, KDE4.0.4, and KDE4.1 are KDE
Desktops in development. KDE4.1 is NOT the final be-all-end-all of
KDE4.

So why is it the default KDE desktop, while KDE 3.5 is not immediately
obvious?

Because KDE3 is final, i.e. a dead-end and because of all the advantages
KDE4 has, e.g. a very flexible desktop that kde3 does not provide.

But, KDE 3 is a mature, featureful desktop environment in it's own right and
it all works. KDE 4.0 and 4.1 are broken, experimental development versions
that are missing a lot of *expected* features and, have a significantly
higher crash rate.

KDE 3 should have been the default until KDE 4 was really ready for brand-new
Linux users. Specifically, those that don't want to take part in
experimentation and development, but rather be handed a finished[1] product.
Yes, KDE 4 should have been available but *not* the default.

I have great hopes for KDE 4 and will probably switch to 4.2.1 from 3.5.10
when it becomes available. However, I think the transition from KDE 3 to KDE
4 was bungled at all levels.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))

[1] And KDE 3 is "finished" is multiple ways.