Re: [opensuse] Workspaces X Wallpapers (KDE4)
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:11:26 +0100
Am Mittwoch 07 Januar 2009 13:32:17 schrieb James Knott:
Clayton wrote:
Run this past me very slowly, KDE 4 the new flagship desktop was shipped
*without* the capability to change the desktop background to an image of
your choice! Somehow I missed this in the firefight on functionality
which explodes periodically on this list...

You cannot set the background image of your desktop in KDE4.1 to some image?
Why can I?, and if my mind does not fail me, I could do so in 4.0 as well. But
since 4.0 was never default, that does not really matter anyway. In 4.2 I can
even set a background per activity.

But even if you could not, how would that hinder people from working, which is
the major aspect when picking a default desktop environment? The limited
desktop in kde3 however does hinder people, since it is not flexible enough to
work with multiple projects one is working on.

As has been said many many many times, KDE4.0.4, and KDE4.1 are KDE
Desktops in development. KDE4.1 is NOT the final be-all-end-all of
KDE4.

So why is it the default KDE desktop, while KDE 3.5 is not immediately
obvious?

Because KDE3 is final, i.e. a dead-end and because of all the advantages KDE4
has, e.g. a very flexible desktop that kde3 does not provide. kde3 does not
give you a choice about it, kde4 does, even the choice to have the very
limited desktop+icons as in kde3.

Sven