Re: [opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:52:42 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Teruel de Campo MD wrote:

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 14:21 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
At 08:59 PM 1/6/2009 +0100, you wrote:
Lee,

I wonder where all those changes occur. Partition Magic in my opinion is
a no no.

Terry,

Thanks again for your replies, .. can't say enough about the support you
chaps provide!

Don't know where 'Partition Magic' came from, .. I have never used it on
any machine here. Perhaps you thought that was my refernce to
11.1 'Partition Manager'?

Rememer that this problem occurred AFTER the original install! 11.1 was
quite happy with the original configuration, .. it only blew up when I
tried to format sda2 & sda3 for ext3.

Do not spend any more time and reinstall. If you want some suggestion
just write what you plan to do and we can tell you how to do it (for
sure you will get as many ways to do it as replies you get:-))

I don't have a problem with that - this machine is going to live for quite
some time as a development box so getting the initial install right is
important.

Basically for linux I have

/boot ext2
/ ext3
/home ext3

Hate to waste three primary partitions on SuSE. As the most
'sophisticated' OS, it *should* be happy living in an extended partition,
I would think?

If you plan to run other OS you have 3 choices:
1. multiboot

That's why I would prefer to save the primary parttions for other OSs - at
least two of them, one for VMs & one spare.

2. use VM under linux host. This is what I use under VMware.

The plan is to use either VMWare or VirtualBox, but that's also my intent
for one of the primary partitions - VM storage.

3. If you only need windows applications running, Crossover can be the
solution. Crossover does not run all windows applications. It runs MS
Office very very well.

Don't want Windoze anywhere near the machine except perhaps as a VM.
VirtualBox is really cool with 'treansparant' mode - both taskbars on a
single screen.

These choices are important because it will allow you to plan your
partitions.
LVM can be a good choice also. It all depends of what you want to do.

Don't know that LVM would add any flexibility, .. ?? Storage space is not
a problem - this 250GB disk is already three times bigger than the one it
replaces.

Any thoughts on a working layout that will preserve two primary partitions
would be appreciated.

Lee