Re: [opensuse] Workspaces X Wallpapers (KDE4)
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:37:56 +0000

Clayton wrote:
Run this past me very slowly, KDE 4 the new flagship desktop was shipped
*without* the capability to change the desktop background to an image of
your choice! Somehow I missed this in the firefight on functionality
which explodes periodically on this list...

As has been said many many many times, KDE4.0.4, and KDE4.1 are KDE
Desktops in development. KDE4.1 is NOT the final be-all-end-all of
KDE4. The KDE4 desktop is a from-scratch re-write to take advantage
of QT4 and to clean up the spaghetti code and useless kruft from years
of development on the previous code tree. This means that yes bits
are still missing... including the soon to be added back in ability to
have different wallpapers on each desktop (plus more). The developers
are bringing the missing bits back as quickly as they can with the
rewritten code and the replacement features showing up almost daily.

C.

This is all well and good, but to my knowledge throwing out the baby
with bathwater (or for a more pertinent metaphor leaving the baby in the
open unattended while rebuilding the house) is not a good idea. The
repetition of the 'in development' mantra is beginning to wear a little
thin.

The roll out of KDE4 has been a PR and HRM disaster area, with
developers feeling under appreciated and abused, experienced users
feeling their comments are ignored or discarded at whim, and others just
generally confused. Hopefully, other OSS developers will take note of
this and take this as example of how *not* to manage a major change to a
well used, well loved and well understood tool.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup