[opensuse] Is 11.1 and kde3 really that broken??
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:22:24 -0600
Listmates,

Over the holidays, I had a chance to really try and configure kde
3.5.10 on
11.1 resulting in some really weird behavior and numerous hard locks. I
installed a fresh copy of 11.1 i586 from the dvd. First, I got kde4 desktop.
Then reconfiguring I did get kde3, but it is really broken.

All updates have been applied. One bizarre bit of behavior is that when
I open
an application, for some reason the application is painted as my desktop
background. See:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_bugs/111/kde3-weird-scrollbar-on-desktop1-800.jpg

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_bugs/111/kde3-weird-scrollbar-on-desktop-konq-800.jpg

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_bugs/111/kde3-weird-scrollbar-on-desktop-ccsm-800.jpg

Notice in the first link, scroll bars have been drawn around my desktop
background from accessing konsole (also a crashed ksnapshot reappeared when the
screenshot was taken), then konqueror is splattered across the desktop, and
then ccsm. What in the heck is going on?

Then -- where have all the fonts gone? With an 11.0 install, there are a
number of new fonts that were introduced. In 11.1 all are gone -- bye, bye..
Even the semi-standard Andale-Sans is nowhere to be found. Why the change in
fonts?

Then, why the kde4 dialog backgrounds? Opensuse updater applet is one
prime
example. I installed kde3 specifically to avoid the gnome look dialogs, but got
them anyway. Is there a place to configure dialog selection that can tweak this?

Then there is the broken compiz-emerald issue. Why must that be broken
in
every opensuse release? It worked in 11.0, then was horribly broken with the
0.7.8 release, then fixed and is working fine in 11.0. Not so for 11.1. Despite
being shipped as part of the distro, compiz-emerald is as broken as can be.
What needs to be fixed there?

I also did an x86_64 install, and unfortunately, I am having the same
problems
with the 64 bit install. I would expect to be chasing bugs if I had installed
kde4, but I wanted to set up several daily working boxes that I could "just get
work done on" and leave the "development help" for the bleeding edge boxes with
kde4 on them. Above all, with kde3 as mature as it is and working as well as it
is on 10.3 and 11.0, I expected zero problems from kde3 on 11.1. I have
experienced just the opposite.

Are these problems known? Is it something wrong with just my 2
installs, that
I can wipe and hopefully avoid on a reinstall? What is the word from the
front-line?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC