Re: [opensuse] Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:38:33 +0100
Try uninstalling pulseaudio - cured my sound problems when watching
digital TV.

Hmmm that seems to have fixed both the audio annoyances, and the
graphics fps issues in games. Strange how PulseAudio appears to also
have been affecting graphics performance... still testing that one to
be sure the graphics are working right....

The important thing is that your audio and graphics hassles have been
solved.

Re the reason why: I suspect - as I expressed some months ago with
another, similar problem, I had - is caused by the dbus being clogged up
by the offending application in this instance pulseaudio (or the IRQ
being monopolised by the rogue app.).

Well.... yes and no. The audio problems were definitely solved by
removing PulseAudio (and likely for reasons you described above), but
the problems with graphics/fps slowdowns in games were not truly
solved until I installed a 2.6.26 kernel from the 11.0 tree.

The default pae kernel from 11.1 (2.6.27) is causing some very
noticeable slowdowns, particularly in games like World of Warcraft in
Wine/Cedega, and not just on my computer... several other people are
grousing about the same issue in the Cedega community. It's not every
2.6.27 kernel though... seems tied to specific distributions like
openSUSE,and maybe even specific hardware combinations... maybe. I'm
not sure of all the details yet. It seems to be something to do with
the scheduler... and as you roll back to previous kernels the
performance increases... eg a 2.6.24 kernel is about 10 to 15% better
for gaming than a 2.6.27 kernel. Not so important for those who don't
game :-)

C.