Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 and the Non-ready KDE4
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:46:35 +0100
On Thursday 14 February 2008, James Knott said:
M9. wrote:
| Glad to hear it. Based on the demo of KDE 4 I saw at the Ontario Linux
| Fest, back in October, what I saw of KDE 4 makes it a show stopper. I
| wouldn't want an OS where that crap is the only choice.

Many issues were fixed since then, but there is still a long way to go,
before it can match its predessessor...

It wasn't the capabilities or performance that bothered me, it appeared
to be incredibly dumbed down and extremely ugly.

I tried to point this out in a few posts late last year but have been a bit
quiet on the lists lately: the lack of configurability of the KDE
4.0 'desktop' is not down to a design decision to dumb down KDE^W^W^Walienate
all our users. Nor is the default colour scheme brown.

It's just a temporary, superficial regression. The underlying configurability
mechanisms still present but the config UI was not done in time for 4.0.0.
Please don't read anything else into it.

If you see any specific things that you fear are unfixably dumbed down please
list them here and I'll respond in detail.

HTH

Will

--
Desktop Engineer