[opensuse] KDE4 Remoting: Fantastic!
  • From: Jerry Houston <jerry.houston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:58:37 -0800
I use remote desktop connections all the time at work, because we're
commercial Windows software developers. At home, however, I've always
used a rather clumsy KVM switch to change from my Linux hardware to my
Windows hardware. One of the disappointments has been that doing so
switched the audio output as well, interrupting whatever I was listening
to whenever I've needed to work with both machines.

Recently curiosity got the best of me, and I tried the new KDE4 remoting
component. (Until I did, I didn't realize it would work with an RDP
connection as well.) I set up a connection to my XP-Pro machine in an
unused KDE desktop, and it's worked flawlessly. Now I can change from
Linux session to XP-Pro session with a single mouse click, making it
much easier to work with both machines at the same time - which I often do.

Furthermore, it supports bringing the remote audio to the local machine,
so I can start Windows Media Player and select an album I want to hear,
and can listen without interruption as I change from one session to the
other.

I'm really impressed. If I don't encounter any problems with it, I'm
thinking of getting rid of the KVM entirely, and clearing up the clutter
on my desk. I thought some others here might appreciate knowing about
it as well.