Re: [SLE] "start printer" by ordinary user
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 15:39:39 -0400
* Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [05-10-06 15:15]:
> In other words, if a newbie can be never shown a man page, that's good
> enough. :)

Amusing. Althought sometimes cryptic, the basis for conveying
information about administering to your system. It's like throwing the
pennies away because they amount to so little individually.

If you feel that they are lacking so much, why don't you re-write them
in a form that *is* understandable to you and submit your changes to
the package authors, remembering that what you feel easy to understand
the next individual may find babble.

> Oh, that's right. I forgot about those evul h4xx0rs sending malicious
> postscript and PCL to teh printerz and forcing them to spew out words
> like, "Steve Ballemer is God!" :P

You make light without reason. It saves making the root password more
public, not particularly for security of the printer (a foolish notion,
imnsho) but for commands that can affect the sancity of your system.

Am I sensing provocation, here?