Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:42:21 -0400
Anders Johansson wrote:
>>> Not to mention all the engineers in the 21th century who have to
>>> have to revert to 18th century measurement "standards" when they try
>>> to speak with their US collegues.
>> And that was the cause of the failure of one (two?) NASA missions to Mars:
>> wrong unit conversions.
> My favourite is the Canadian incident, where they ordered the amount of fuel
> in kilos but received it in pounds, so they went flying with half a tank

You're referring to the "Gimli Glider" (google for more info), named
after the abaondoned WW2 air base where it landed. There were a few
factors that led to that incident. The plane had a defective fuel
gauge. When that happens, they are supposed to use a dip stick, to
measure fuel levels, which they failed to do. If they'd performed that
check, the miscalculation would have been caught.

< Previous Next >