Re: [SLE] there should not be a default for paper size?? (was: [SLE] Warning to Americans!)
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:48:01 +0100
On Saturday 29 April 2006 21:37, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> On Saturday 29 April 2006 3:49 pm, Per Jessen wrote:
> > > Good question: within the user population, what fraction uses A4 and
> > > what fraction uses US letter?
> >
> > Given SUSEs European roots, I would venture a guess and say there
> > probably are more SUSE-users in Europe than in North-America and
> > Canada.
>
> But who knows, aside from the SuSE sales department?
>
> > > You have to set the time zone explicitly, so why not the paper size?
> >
> > Perhaps because timezone varies a lot more than paper-size? But it's a
> > good question - I'm sure the default paper-size could be set under YAST
> > somewhere.
>
> I believe you can -- but you should be asked explicitly to set it when you
> do an install. If the default were US letter, you'd want that question
> asked at installation, wouldn't you?
>
> Paul

I have to admit i fail to see what is so difficult about setting your darn
paper size when you set your printer up you get the chance to set that to
whatever you want ..

As for %of users on A4 i would not be at all surprised if it turned out to be
70 30 in favour of A4 as A4 is the standard for the vast majority of the
planet .

Pete .

--
The Labour party has changed their emblem from a rose to a condom as
it more accurately reflects the government's political stance.

A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next
generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of
security while you are actually being fucked.

from GSM