default timezone (was: Re: [SLE] there should not be a default for paper size??)
  • From: ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:44:31 -0400

Peter Nikolic wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 11:59, David Wright wrote:
>>Am Samstag, 29. April 2006 22:41 schrieb Kevanf1:
>>>It amazes me that the default location is the US yet SuSE is a
>>>European distro. It doesn't cause me a problem and neither do any of
>>>the other defaults as they are easily changed. It's just surprising.
>>Agreed, surely the logical default would be GMT +/-0?
>>
>>--
>>"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some
>>way to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad
>>thing made by men, and by God that's something we can change."
>>- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
>

> Now that not a bad idea at all certainly make life a lot simpler .. :-)

It would be simpler for people who lived in that timezone, yes. I would
think that it would be more instructive to (mostly new) users to use
almost anything besides UTC +/-0, the reason being the math. Some
people don't know or might not remember whether they need to add or
subtract from UTC to get their own timezone. So using a default of
UTC-5 and noting that this is NYC would give a clue to people in, say,
Indiana, that their timezone is UTC-6 (well, depending upon where in IN
they live). Personally, I don't care which timezone is the default-- it
would make the most sense to use the timezone where the most Linux users
are (which would be fun to know)-- but I'd be fine with UTC+6. I just
think that UTC-0 would be the least instructive choice for users.

--
As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.