Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:12:53 +0100
On 30/04/06, elefino <kevinmcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 30 April 2006 02:34, Basil Chupin wrote:

[...]
> > Welllll....... Here in the US we've been selling our wine and whiskey
> > in liters for quite some time now, and that's certainly more important
> > than gasoline or oil.
> >
> > Bob S.
>
> <Sigh>
>
> Now there is another thing.... "liters" instead of (in proper English)
> "litres" and "center" instead of (in proper English) "centre".

Um, that'd be the proper _French_ spelled approximately as she is
pronounced, no?

Unless, perhaps, you are saying that your proper h'english pronunciation
is LIT-rez?

At least "liter" has a chance of sounding a bit like "LEE-turs", which is
how most English(like) speakers actually pronounce it.

Oh, wait... I forgot. Y'all would be the folks who pronounce something
"chumley" and then spell it Chalmonderleigh or some such.

:-)
Kevin (Ottawa, Canada)

Cholmondleigh actually :-) That's possibly down to the Romans though.

Hey, try spelling with Shakespeares English. At 43 yrs of age I
still cannot figure out the obsession with many of my fellow
countrymen that Shakespeare was something wonderful. He wrote soaps
set in the Middle Ages, that's all. I love English Literature but hate
Shakespeare.....although I do love the Sibelius rendition of The
Tempest :-) and of course Forbidden Planet.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire