Re: [SLE] VERY good question about Yast2/Suse 7.x/8.0
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:55:04 +0300
* Fábio Rabelo; <fabior@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on 02 Aug, 2002 wrote:
Then WHY Suse won't release a generic "Suse Linux 7.4" with all of Kernel
and packages there are allready done ??

You can have your 7.XYZ version by just updating the packages
a) available on the ftp.suse.com and its mirrors in the update directory
b) use the build.rpm ( comes with 8.0) and build your very uptodate
packages including the ones that SuSE has not updated since it was not
security related. Note that with "build tool" you can build rpms for
almost all SuSE versions. c) If I was the deciding person at SuSE I would have rejected your idea
,even though YaST2 is lacking the features of good old YAST1 as it is
meaningless to walk backwards when you can walk to future
I believe you have read
http:///susefaq.sf.net/addingsoftware.html#AEN1904 which basicly tells
what you can do to understand building a distro.

--

Togan Muftuoglu
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer