Re: [SLE] Yast 2 SUCKS !!!
  • From: Basil Fowler <bjfowler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:57:47 +0000
Given the near infinite configurability of Linux, it is almost impossible to
write a GUI installer that covers everything. A GUI is very convenient, but
is inflexible. For out-of-the-ordinary situations, you have to hand-tweak
the system.

In Linux this is possible, - try that in Window$.

An example with SAX2.

I have a Samsung TFT-LCD monitor which is very fastidious about video timings
and clock frequencies. I tried to set it up with SAX2, but the results were
pretty hopeless. What I then did was to take the mode line settings supplied
by the manufacturer of the monitor, and copied them directly into XF86Config
with a text editor. With those settings the display works as advertised on
all resolutions (1024 x 768, 800 x 600, 640 x 480).

A second peculiarlty is that I use an 1152 x 868 virtual screen, and a 1048 x
768 real screen. To get this in SAX2 is impossible. With my GeForce 400
card, a specific line has to be written into XF86Config. Again, once that
was done, everything worked.

All the instructions were and are available in the XF86Config manpage

I recommend Linux primarily on the basis of choice - if you don't like YaST2 -
then don't use it. You have the choice of hand adjustments. If you don't
like SuSE, use another distribution. I used to be a RedHat user, and it is
still running on my backup computer. Some things RedHat does better, some
SuSE. I feel that I have improved my SuSE installation by copying features
from the RedHat machine.

No distribution is perfect. So what is important to me is that I am not
constrained to follow SuSE. Perhaps I may change in the future - who knows?
But the bottom line remains that I have the freedom to do so.

Regards

Basil Fowler