Re: [SLE] backing up a partition
  • From: ()
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:24:43 -0500

Keith Warno wrote:

> Hello list.
>
> Anyone have an idea on how to backup the contents of a _partition_? I'm
> thinking maybe I could use dd but I'm not sure.
>
> For example, I would like to backup everything that resides on /dev/hda2.
>
> Ideas/suggestions much appreciated, as always.

Well, the way I backup my system is with the tar command. It works well
for me. All you have to do is mount the partition you wish to backup to
some location, like /mnt or something. Change directory into the mount
point (etc: cd /mnt), and simply tar everything up: tar zcvf <filename>
*

Please look at the man page for details on the four switchs I used on
tar.

--
Sam Carleton