Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 07:45:00 +0200

Gesendet: Dienstag, 02. Juli 2019 um 23:56 Uhr
Von: "Javier Llorente" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] The state of translations

El domingo, 30 de junio de 2019 0:08:25 (CEST) Sarah Julia Kriesch escribió:
Hi Javier,

Hi Sarah,

Excuse me for the late answer.
It was difficult to write emails with my laptop in the last days (private
reasons with outside activities).

No problem.

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2019 um 21:50 Uhr
Von: "Javier Llorente" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello team mates,

Unfortunately, the Spanish translations haven't been updated since a long
time. Last update request dates back to January 2019.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2019-01/msg00004.html

We have been receiving updates for openSUSE Leap 15.1 since January 2019.
Were you able to translate that all? Or what has been missing?

"Cancel" still appears as "Abortar." See the bottom of the following
screenshots:

openSUSE Leap 15.1 (installer)
https://paste.opensuse.org/view//10ae858f

openSUSE Leap 15.1 (YaST with updates installed)
https://paste.opensuse.org/view//0e8e17da

That is the yast-installer and the YaST Team has the update of our po files and
translations full automated in Jenkins:
https://github.com/yast/yast-translations

This is very prominent. I don't know why it didn't go through - it was
corrected a long time ago.

I will speak with them what was going wrong.

I will keep reviewing the translations.

Futhermore, there have been no news from the SLE side regarding any kind
of
cooperation with the community (last email is from November 2018). It all
started with a translator who overwrote some translated and proofread
strings back in June 2018.
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2018-06/msg00000.html
E.g. https://paste.opensuse.org/view//96282138

I, as a translator, would like to see some changes regarding this
situation
(and in a timely manner, if possible).

SLE Translations are in Microfocus hands at the moment and the Project
Manager is organizing the handover for the beginning of the next year. I
had a meeting before the openSUSE Conference. I told him what we prefer in
communication and where I can see improvements in the future.

Good.

He is reading this mailing list, too. He can add your ideas for
communication processes between SLE and the community. I told him about
"old" email addresses and the request for updated email addresses to
achieve such problem translators (if they are SLE translators).

What is another idea for improvements by you? It is difficult to receive new
translators in the community if we limit the access to Weblate for only
special translators.

For instance, before changing a translated word many times, sending an email
to this list would help.

But the most important thing is not having a Weblate open to the whole world.
New translators could suggest changes to be reviewed. Once that person has
submitted several changes (and have been approved as well), we could give the
appropriate Weblate rights to that person. Well, rights could be given
without
having to follow this procedure if that person is already a translator of
another FLOSS project. We could be a bit flexible :)

As discussed before, a common glossary with the SLE translators would be good
as well.

And last, but not least, I suggest updating the translations on Tumbleweed/
Leap as frequent as possible. Or at least knowing when they are going to be
updated on both Tumbleweed and Leap.

Best regards,
Sarah

Regards,