Re: [opensuse-translation] Switching Weblate to protected mode
Javier Llorente skreiv 10. juni 2018 22:37:
Translations are submitted without
any kind of proofreading, which can lead to already translated and proofread
strings being overwritten.

[…]

Therefore, I suggest switching Weblate's access control from "public" to
"protected"; translations by new members must be approved first.
I strongly agree. It is customary in free software projects to have translation *teams* that are responsible for maintaining the translations. If anyone can edit the translations, this encourages so-called ‘drive-by translation’, which in the past has been shown to *really* bad for the quality of the translations – and very demotivating for the actual translation teams.

BTW, this is also the way commiting code works in free software project. One doesn’t let anyone commit code directly to the Git repositories. There’s no reason translation contributions should work differently.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer