Re: [opensuse-translation] Steps for creating Spanish variants?
"Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Till now, the consensus was to provide a single translation using
language accepted by all. But some of the new translators do not
accept this agreement and want to split the Spain variant.

I do not see why we could not keep "es" as-is and add other variants as
needed or as provided. Once more translations are available, we'd have
to discuss how to enable them in the system.

Here in Germany we added one or two flavors some time ago (esp. "nds"),
but in written context and especially as a computer language they are
not used by native speakers. Bavarian or "Austrian" ( ;-) ) is widely
used, but as a GUI language is would be confusing; of course, some of
the vocabulary would make sense (e.g., "Jänner" instead of "Januar").

Spanish issues have to be decided by Spanish native speakers. But I'd
recommend to be as conservative as possible. With those changes, you
quickly can do more harm than good. Users are probably used to the
state of the art and "happy" with it (even if some term are "foreign").

--
Karl Eichwalder SUSE Linux GmbH
R&D / Documentation Maxfeldstraße 5