Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
Karl Ove Hufthammer - 7:44 22.04.13 wrote:
su. den 21. 04. 2013 klokka 22.09 (+0200) skreiv Michal Hrusecky:
Which is why Weblate could actually help. It will lower the initial barrier
let people translate just few things they care about and translation team
could
just approve it.

Just a small comment: This is a really bad idea. Experience has time and
time again shown that this type of ‘drive-by translation’ (as done in
Ubuntu’s Rosetta/Launchpad) does much more harm than good. The
translations are usually done by people that don’t know the linguistic
guidelines of the translation team, haven’t translated the rest of the
application, and thus can’t ensure a consistent translation, and,
frankly, often don’t have the linguistic capabilities or technical
knowhow to do good translations (yes, of course there are exceptions).

This might work if you have more than enough volunteers and you can pick highly
trained guys. If you don't have enough good enough people, it's quite some help
having suggestions (even random volunteers do good translations sometimes) and
fixing just few inconsistencies. It's just faster.

In my experience handling translation suggestions in Launchpad, I will spend
much more time reading a suggestion and fixing/rewriting it than I would
translating the source string directly.

Simple, if you don't like it, ignore it and replace it with your own. If you
like it, just accept it. I don't see how it can take more time... Unless you
are forced to use web UI instead of your off-line tool of preference which
nobody is suggesting.

I guess suggestions *would* be useful for pointing out mistakes /
possible improvements in existing translations (and this is something
that is needed, as we really don’t have a good infrastructure for it),
it is *not* useful for ‘drive-by translation’.

--
Michal Hrusecky <Michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>