Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
Carlos E. R. - 3:31 22.04.13 wrote:

On Sunday, 2013-04-21 at 22:09 +0200, Michal Hrusecky wrote:

Carlos E. R. - 16:45 21.04.13 wrote:

But that will not work for the teams that use vertaal, it is the end for
us. And of course, all my scripts and procedures will stop working, I'd
have to find out if I can do the same with git. More work.

Which is webtool, not integrated with openSUSE infrastructure and as such
used
by selected few. Apart from that feature wise Weblate should be able to
replace
it on top of being actively maintained independent project.

Vertaal is a tool designed by members of this community to help translators
with our jobs, because SUSE wanted the job done but did not have any such
tool. We had to do it ourselves.

It is not hosted on openSUSE infrastructure, but it could. Just ask
Gabriel, I guess he is paying himself for the current hosting with his own
money.

So Tomas was trying to do it the right way - get open source software with
active upstream, get it hosted on openSUSE infrastructure and document it.
No disrespect to what Gabriel did for you.

Prove that weblate does that and more.

Somebody already said that in this discussion. I'm not going to do that as your
workflow is not documented and simply I don't care that much to spend hours
comparing tools and undocumented workflow to hear in that end that I didn't
take into consideration something that was impossible to find.

And I will not use a webtool to do the actual translation, same as you.

So no point in complaining about vertaal ;-)

Vertaal is not used to do the actual translation.

So say what it is used for and how do you use it, so Tomas could tell you how
to do that with git/weblate.

I did have a look at Weblate. The wikipedia article has a prominent note:

This article may rely excessively on sources too closely
associated with the subject, preventing the article from
being verifiable and neutral. Please help improve it by
replacing them with more appropriate citations to reliable,
independent, third-party sources. (March 2013)

There is a link to a demo, though. I don't even know what to see there,
there are no videos, slides, nothing. And I'm not going to create an
account to try to find out how I'm supposed to do things with it. I'm
supposed to buy it, so sell it to me.

Which means that nobody cared enough to put more info on weblate. On Weblate
demo page, you have credentials that you can use *without any registration*
check how it works. If you are interested in more, there was a presentation
last year on oSC. You can watch presentation on youtube. But I'm quite sure
there
is more that you can easily find using google. As for vertaal that you keep
bringing up, google wasn't able to find anything, which makes it really
relevant compared to software that has even Wikipedia page, although with
not
enough references yet. I know, you pointed me to some guy, that you know,
who
developed it, but that is not the point ;-)

It is you people that want us to use weblate. You are not asking us, you
are simply doing it. Thus show it to us, prove to us how it works. I'm not
going to google for it. Make videos, demos, whatever, put the links here.
I'm not going to do the effort of learning this time, you will do that for
us.

Presentation from last oSC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVlXt6QdgdA

Demo:

http://demo.weblate.org/

login: demo
pass: demo

Or better, whole workflow will be migrated to git+optional weblate and
*documented* as currently it differs per team.

Thus I'll be out.

Don't be so negative, without even giving it a try ;-)

I'm not negative. I have been doing this from the start. I had to find out
how to do it, work hard, and teach others. I have invested many hundreds
of hours in this.

Which is appreciated. And Tomas is trying to make it easier not only for
newcomers so people wouldn't have to work hard to learn everything and can just
translate stuff.

Now you people want us to do it differently, change it all, and I'm simply
not buying it. I will not start over unless you convince me.

As probably agree, there are few issues, for example:

* finding new translators is not easy
* translation fixes are not always propagated to the older releases

Which Tomas was trying to address and you just keep repeating that you don't
want to learn anything new. That I call negative ;-)

Systemd was forced upon us by the developers. We had to accept it because
we can't refuse. This is the same, it is forced into us; with the
difference that this time you need translators to do the working. I say I
don't like it and I'm not playing.

We didn't had to accept systemd. But nobody cared enough. This time it was
*sugested* by one guy who does a lot of translations and wanted to make
openSUSE translators live easier.

If you want me to play, sell it to me.

If SUSE changes the translation system, it is up to them to find again
translators and organize it all. Not my problem. I use the system in
English, anyway.

Again, It's not SUSE. It's one community member who tried to improve current
situation and make it easier and attract new translators. Who wanted to help
and found people who don't want to hear/try new ways and resist all changes.

No.

It is somebody with a suse email address, so to me it is SUSE.

SUSE is not trying to do anything in this regards, just one guy who does it in
his free time and who happens to work for SUSE. He is also Gentoo developer.
Do you suggest that, that Gentoo is trying to impose something? He is also KDE
contributor, so is KDE conspiring together with SUSE and Gentoo to stop you
translating?

--
Michal Hrusecky <Michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>