Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
Carlos E. R. - 16:45 21.04.13 wrote:

On Sunday, 2013-04-21 at 15:54 +0200, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
må. den 15. 04. 2013 klokka 14.00 (+0200) skreiv Tomáš Chvátal:

I’m not sure I understand correctly. Will we be able to do just do a

git pull [to fetch *all* the .po files]
... do the translation using Lokalize and other tools ...
git commit

?

That sounds like a good solution. I will not use a Web-based translation
system, for various reasons (e.g., we use several tools and scripts to
ensure quality translations, and all Web-based solutions I have tried
have turned out to be slow, inefficient and detrimental to good quality
translations).

But that will not work for the teams that use vertaal, it is the end for
us. And of course, all my scripts and procedures will stop working, I'd
have to find out if I can do the same with git. More work.

Which is webtool, not integrated with openSUSE infrastructure and as such used
by selected few. Apart from that feature wise Weblate should be able to replace
it on top of being actively maintained independent project.

And I will not use a webtool to do the actual translation, same as you.

So no point in complaining about vertaal ;-)

I did have a look at Weblate. The wikipedia article has a prominent note:

This article may rely excessively on sources too closely
associated with the subject, preventing the article from
being verifiable and neutral. Please help improve it by
replacing them with more appropriate citations to reliable,
independent, third-party sources. (March 2013)

There is a link to a demo, though. I don't even know what to see there,
there are no videos, slides, nothing. And I'm not going to create an
account to try to find out how I'm supposed to do things with it. I'm
supposed to buy it, so sell it to me.

Which means that nobody cared enough to put more info on weblate. On Weblate
demo page, you have credentials that you can use *without any registration* to
check how it works. If you are interested in more, there was a presentation
last year on oSC. You can watch presentation on youtube. But I'm quite sure
there
is more that you can easily find using google. As for vertaal that you keep
bringing up, google wasn't able to find anything, which makes it really
relevant compared to software that has even Wikipedia page, although with not
enough references yet. I know, you pointed me to some guy, that you know, who
developed it, but that is not the point ;-)

BTW, I don’t really understand why the translation files for openSUSE
are often outdated, and the need to move to Git. In KDE, which I also
translate for, most applications have moved to Git, but the translations
stay in SVN (Git gives us no advantages over SVN, and would only
complicate the lives of translators). And the translations templates
stay in a central directory

That sounds very good to me.

I do not collaborate, but I read the "Kde-l10n-es" mail list. I understand
that translators are assigned files by a person (a coordinator).

In the GNU translation project, where I collaborate a bit, people are
asigned files by the team coordinator. Then we receive an email indicating
that we have to work, and a link to download the .po file. We translate it
and send it back by email. A robot receives it, accepting or rejecting it
automatically. Somehow, it is submitted to each project.

Here, some teams use vertaal to automatically handle asignation of files,
and also download/updates them if they want. If we are forced to use git,
vertaal breaks, and the whole thing collapses, it has to be redone from
scratch.

Or better, whole workflow will be migrated to git+optional weblate and
*documented* as currently it differs per team.

Thus I'll be out.

Don't be so negative, without even giving it a try ;-)

It is already difficult to find volunteer translators, there is no
interest. None else from the Spanish team has even bothered to say a word
in our mail list.

Which is why Weblate could actually help. It will lower the initial barrier to
let people translate just few things they care about and translation team could
just approve it. If it's easy and well documented, we can promote hell out of
it and we don't need to worry if people want to translate just 20 sentences.
Currently managing overhead will be really high. But if we can get hundred
people translating 20 sentences and some of them will like it...

If SUSE changes the translation system, it is up to them to find again
translators and organize it all. Not my problem. I use the system in
English, anyway.

Again, It's not SUSE. It's one community member who tried to improve current
situation and make it easier and attract new translators. Who wanted to help
and found people who don't want to hear/try new ways and resist all changes.

I'm not motivated to start it all over again...

--
Michal Hrusecky <Michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>