Re: [opensuse-translation] Managing SUSE translations in unified way
  • From: Michael Skiba <mailinglist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 20:33:30 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 10. April 2013, 14:44:30 schrieb Tomáš Chvátal:
Dne St 10. dubna 2013 11:03:39, Karl Eichwalder napsal(a):
There are more than 100 accounts involved (these are mostly translators
and
developers who would have to get used to the new location), written
documentation here and there, and quite some third party tools you are
not aware of.

Yup the users stuff is bit questionable. For the git access users will need
to have github account (which is requested anyway if you want to contribute
to opensuse tools) or just have login to our bugzilla/lizzard system so
they can get via OpenID to the weblate.

Maybe you've already answered this, but why is git necessary? Why can't we use
the existing opensuse-svn? (earlier I read you complaining that vertaal
doesn't support git, now I have to ask you why your software doesn't support
svn(yet?))

Actually I believe your software could have a great potential, it's not like
I've seen anything of it yet, but if everything works as you said it certainly
sounds interesting. But at the moment it (to my ears) sounds a little bit like
you're trying to force it onto everyone (which will most likely fail, nobody
wants to be overrun), instead you should take a slower approach and try to
convince the people with the actual product. They should use it because they
want to use it, because they think it's more comfortable, not because one man
shows up on the mailinglist and demands it, because it is BETTER™.

And now back to my original question, why can't you write an svn-adapter? This
way you could set up a testing platform (where willing teams can test the
workflow) right next to our currently established workflow. And if your software
really holds up to the promise more and more teams will join it and eventuelly
we can open a discussion whether we should completely switch to your software.
But this will take it's time, you can't expect everybody to change their
workflow because of something that might be, it has to be the other way round:
The software has to proof its worthyness.

Please don't feel offended, I'm sure you two put much work into that code and
again I think sounds like it has potential. But the whole process of
localization involves much more than just a piece of software, it requires
work (both active and passive) from a lot of people (ranging from organizing
teams, managing accounts, communicating with the devs and of course the
translation itself) and they have to support your idea too ;-)

--
Kind Regards,
Michael